crystal alternatives and similar shards
Based on the "Implementations and Compilers" category
Do you think we are missing an alternative of crystal or a related project?
Crystal is a programming language with the following goals:
- Have a syntax similar to Ruby (but compatibility with it is not a goal)
- Statically type-checked but without having to specify the type of variables or method arguments.
- Be able to call C code by writing bindings to it in Crystal.
- Have compile-time evaluation and generation of code, to avoid boilerplate code.
- Compile to efficient native code.
We love Ruby's efficiency for writing code.
We love C's efficiency for running code.
We want the best of both worlds.
We want the compiler to understand what we mean without having to specify types everywhere.
We want full OOP.
Oh, and we don't want to write C code to make the code run faster.
Crystal is still under heavy development. There can be breaking changes but we're trying to keep them as minimum as possible.
Try it online
Questions or suggestions? Ask on the Crystal Forum, on our Gitter channel or IRC channel #crystal-lang at chat.freenode.net, or on Stack Overflow under the crystal-lang tag. There is also an archived Google Group.
The Crystal repository is hosted at crystal-lang/crystal on GitHub.
Read the general Contributing guide, and then:
- Fork it (https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/fork)
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create a new Pull Request