cray alternatives and similar shards
Based on the "Game Development" category.
Alternatively, view cray alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of cray or a related project?
raylib is a simple and easy-to-use library to enjoy videogames programming.
raylib is highly inspired by Borland BGI graphics lib and by XNA framework and it's specially well suited for prototyping, tooling, graphical applications, embedded systems and education.
NOTE for ADVENTURERS: raylib is a programming library to enjoy videogames programming; no fancy interface, no visual helpers, no auto-debugging... just coding in the most pure spartan-programmers way.
Ready to learn? Jump to code examples!
- NO external dependencies, all required libraries are bundled into raylib
- Multiple platforms supported: Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, HTML5... and more!
- Written in plain C code (C99) in PascalCase/camelCase notation
- Hardware accelerated with OpenGL (1.1, 2.1, 3.3 or ES 2.0)
- Unique OpenGL abstraction layer (usable as standalone module): rlgl
- Multiple Fonts formats supported (TTF, XNA fonts, AngelCode fonts)
- Outstanding texture formats support, including compressed formats (DXT, ETC, ASTC)
- Full 3D support, including 3D Shapes, Models, Billboards, Heightmaps and more!
- Flexible Materials system, supporting classic maps and PBR maps
- Animated 3D models supported (skeletal bones animation)
- Shaders support, including model and postprocessing shaders.
- Powerful math module for Vector, Matrix and Quaternion operations: raymath
- Audio loading and playing with streaming support (WAV, OGG, MP3, FLAC, XM, MOD)
- VR stereo rendering support with configurable HMD device parameters
- Huge examples collection with +115 code examples!
- Bindings to +40 programming languages!
- Free and open source.
raylib uses internally several single-file header-only libraries to support different fileformats loading and saving, all those libraries are embedded with raylib and available in src/external directory. Check raylib Wiki for a detailed list.
On Android platform,
native_app_glue module (provided by Android NDK) and native Android libraries are used to manage window/context, inputs and activity life cycle.
On Raspberry Pi platform (native mode),
Videocore API and
EGL libraries are used for window/context management. Inputs are processed using
evdev Linux libraries
On Web platform, raylib uses
emscripten provided libraries for several input events management, specially noticeable the touch events support.
build and installation
raylib binary releases for Windows, Linux and macOS are available at the Github Releases page.
raylib is also available via multiple package managers on multiple OS distributions.
Installing and building raylib via vcpkg
You can download and install raylib using the vcpkg dependency manager:
git clone https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg.git cd vcpkg ./bootstrap-vcpkg.sh ./vcpkg integrate install vcpkg install raylib
The raylib port in vcpkg is kept up to date by Microsoft team members and community contributors. If the version is out of date, please create an issue or pull request on the vcpkg repository.
Building raylib on multiple platforms
raylib Wiki contains detailed instructions on building and usage on multiple platforms.
- Working on Windows
- Working on macOS
- Working on GNU Linux
- Working on FreeBSD
- Working on Raspberry Pi
- Working for Android
- Working for Web (HTML5)
- Working for UWP (Universal Window Platform)
- Working anywhere with CMake
Note that Wiki is open for edit, if you find some issue while building raylib for your target platform, feel free to edit the Wiki or open and issue related to it.
Using raylib with multiple IDEs
Projects directory contains several ready-to-use project templates to build raylib and code examples with multiple IDEs.
Note that there are lots of IDEs supported, some of the provided templates could require some review, please, if you find some issue with some template or you think they could be improved, feel free to send a PR or open a related issue.
- Webpage: http://www.raylib.com
- Discord: https://discord.gg/raylib
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/raysan5
- Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/raysan5
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/raylib
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/raylib
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/raylib
If you are using raylib and enjoying it, please, join our Discord server and let us know! :)
raylib is licensed under an unmodified zlib/libpng license, which is an OSI-certified, BSD-like license that allows static linking with closed source software. Check [LICENSE](LICENSE) for further details.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the cray README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.